John H. Kitzmann
Mr. Kitzmann is a partner and co-founder of Davidson & Kitzmann, PLC. He is also the former Chair of the Family Law Section of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association. Mr. Kitzmann practices in the areas of family law and appeals.
Mr. Kitzmann has had a long and distinguished career in family law. After graduating from law school, Mr. Kitzmann started his legal career at a large national law firm. Wanting to utilize his innate ability to communicate effectively with others to assist individuals and families in distress, he turned his attention to the specialized field of family law where he could combine his litigation and interpersonal skills.
His experience includes representing either party in a divorce action, ranging from the most basic to the very complex, including cases that involve high net worth individuals, large estates, numerous properties, substantial business holdings, detailed financial analysis, extensive discovery, forensic investigation, real estate appraisals, business valuations, awards of maintenance, child removal cases, as well as custody, visitation, and child support litigation. Mr. Kitzmann represents clients at all levels of the process: from juvenile court, to circuit court, to the Virginia Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of Virginia.
Mr. Kitzmann specializes in assisting clients to achieve the most favorable outcome in a family law matter, whether by settlement or aggressive representation at trial. And while most cases ultimately settle, he maintains the realistic understanding that some cases cannot be settled. In these cases, he is a dynamic, experienced trial attorney that is prepared to bring a case to trial to present a client’s position in a forceful, yet professional manner.
Mr. Kitzmann has the skill, knowledge and experience to ensure the full protection of your legal rights. He will handle all matters with compassion and sensitivity to minimize the impact on you and your family.
University of Virginia School of Law, Juris Doctor- 1996
- Super Lawyer
- Top 10 Lawyers in Virginia
- Client Satisfaction Award
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Evidence in Family Law: Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Annual Family Law Conference
- Legal Issues Regarding Electronic Devices and Communications: 35th Annual Family Law Seminar
- Preserving Issues for Appeal: Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Motions Commonly Used in Family Law Cases: Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Journal
- Classification of Property in Divorce: Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Annual Family Law Seminar
- Appeals to the Virginia Court of Appeals: Charlottesville Albemarle Bar Association
- Ethical Issues in Collaborative Law: Charlottesville Albemarle Bar Association Family Law Program
- Evidence Issues in Divorce: Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Fall Conference
- Guide to Protective Orders: Charlottesville Albemarle Bar Association Annual Family Law CLE
Mr. Kitzmann has extensive experience handling appeals. Appellate advocacy depends heavily on writing skills, oral advocacy, and legal analysis. Mr. Kitzmann has used his appellate skills both to protect clients he has represented at the trial level and also to help new clients who have had other lawyers represent them at the trial level. Below is a sample of the appeals cases Mr. Kitzmann has handled:
- Brandenstein v. Brandenstein, 2015 Va. App. LEXIS 292 (2015)
- David v. David, 2014 Va. LEXIS 24 (2014)
- Pascarella v. McCoy, 011 Va. App. LEXIS 8 (2011)
- Lightburn v. Lightburn, 2009 Va. App. LEXIS 459 (2009)
- Duva v. Duva, 55 Va. App. 286 (2009)
- Concannon v. Gladstone, 2007 Va. App. LEXIS 192 (2007)
- Vanderveer v. Vanderveer, 2004 Va. App. LEXIS 459 (2004)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- Supreme Court of the Commonwealth of Virginia
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Chair Family Law Section
- Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court, Former Secretary Treasurer
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
Phone: (434) 972-9600
Fax: (434) 220-0011
Please note that the use of our contact form does not create an attorney-client relationship and therefore there is no attorney-client protection for the information you choose to submit to us. As such, please do not submit any confidential or privileged information in the contact form.
We are located in Charlottesville, but our lawyers handle cases in Charlottesville, Albemarle County, Greene County, Fluvanna County, Louisa County, Nelson County, Madison County, Orange County, Roanoke, Harrisonburg, Staunton, Waynesboro, Augusta County, and across Virginia.
Davidson & Kitzmann, PLC
211 E High St
Charlottesville, VA 22902
Phone: (434) 972-9600
Fax: (434) 220-0011
© 2019 Davidson & Kitzmann, PLC