There are few events in a person's life more difficult to face than problems affecting home and family relationships. Our clients come to us worried about their future, afraid their bank accounts will be frozen, worried about their children, afraid they will be kicked out of their home. Whatever situation you face, we will give you the advice and information you need to make important decisions about your future and your family, and we will fight for you when you need it most. Please read our publication Divorce and Family Law in Virginia for detailed information on the process, the law and the issues involved in divorce and family law.
Our Family Law and Divorce Lawyers are Recognized as ExpertsYou need a lawyer who has the experience, knowledge, and skill to protect your interests in these deeply distressing situations. Our lawyers have handled hundreds of divorce and family law cases, in the Virginia Supreme Court, the Virginia Court of Appeals and in circuit courts and juvenile courts across Virginia. Our lawyers frequently publish articles in legal journals, teach courses to other lawyers, and are retained by other lawyers specifically for the purpose of using our experience to assist them. A selection of recent courses taught and articles published is listed below.
- Evidence Issues in Divorce, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Classification of Property in Divorce, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Should You Appeal?, Charlottesville Albemarle Bar Association
- Guide to Protective Orders, Charlottesville Albemarle Bar Association
- Motions Used in Family Law Cases, Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
Our Lawyers are Distinguished Leaders in the FieldOur lawyers have distinguished themselves by gaining leadership positions in local and statewide legal organizations. These include:
- Board of Governors - Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Chairman - Family Law Section of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Vice Chairman - Family Law Section of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Legislative Subcommittee - Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Secretary Treasurer - Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court
Knowledge and ExperienceOur lawyers also routinely handle cases involving business law, employment law, tax law, criminal law, real estate law, and estate law. As a result, our lawyers have expertise and experience regarding the many Virginia and federal laws which can impact a divorce or family law case. We use our knowledge of and experience with these laws to help protect the interests of our clients. We invite you to learn more about our lawyers. Please click here to review their biographies.
Our Divorce Lawyers Give Honest AnswersDuring a difficult time, you need to trust the relationship with your lawyer. You need to know that your lawyer will give you honest answers and reassure you with expertise about this difficult and confusing process. Our divorce and family law attorneys are recognized as leaders in their field and can help you through your divorce or other family law situation. We make sure that you have honest, straight forward answers to your questions, and that you understand the process so you can make sounds decisions about your future.
Cases We Handle
Click on the links below to find helpful information about the types of cases we handle.
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Military Divorce
- Collaborative Law
- Custody and Visitation
- Child Support
- Spousal Support/Alimony
- Equitable Distribution
- Separation Agreements
- Protective Orders
- Modification and Enforcement of Existing Orders
InformationWe have listed additional resources below to give you more information on divorce and family law.
- Children and Divorce
- Divorce in Virginia
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Virginia Collaborative Professionals
- Collaborative Professionals of Northern Virginia
- Virginia's Judicial System
- Virginia's Legislative Information System
- Charlottesville Albemarle Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Lawyers Weekly
Contact UsTo schedule a consultation call us today at (434) 972-9600 or contact us online.
Davidson and Kitzmann, PLC
211 E High Street
Charlottesville, Virginia 22902
Tel: (434) 972-9600
Fax: (434) 220-0011
We are located in Charlottesville, but our lawyers handle cases in Charlottesville, Albemarle County, Greene County, Fluvanna County, Louisa County, Nelson County, Madison County, Orange County, Roanoke, Harrisonburg, Staunton, Waynesboro, Augusta County, and across Virginia.